   Re: SAX: Error Reporting (question 4 of 10)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 20:10:06

Yes to both.

There are at least two sorts of errors:
	- XML-based errors (i.e. VC or WF violations)
	- system errors (e.g. errors associated with SystemID,
InterruptedException, etc. I'm not we should do with these. (for
FileNotFound AElfred returns an error count of 1 (one) but doesn't trap the
exception in doError. I don't know enough about interfaces to know "who
should be in charge" and I'll leave it to you-all to sort this out.

>Do we need a 'column' argument as well as a 'line' argument, or is
>'line' enough?  I don't know if all parsers track the current column,
>but we could define a behaviour for those that do not (such as
>reporting the column as -1).

It's valuable, so one can highlight the actual character where the error
occurred. (In AElfred at present I just highlight the line, which if it's
very long could be difficult - remember that XML files can consist of a
single line - and some *will* :-)).

	P.
<META>
BTW it is very easy to say "yes" to everything. That will result in a
larger interface. DavidM will have to take some tough decisions. Therefore
it may be useful to qualify your "Yeses" and "nos", like:
YES - can't live without this
YES - but not essential
NO - but don't mind
NO - over my dead body

The perceptive will have noticed that I didn't post a reply to (3) to the
list - it went straight to DavidM. (Also, where there are two
correspondents with the same first/given name, using initials is an
acceptable way of distinguishing.
</META>
net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg