   Re: SAX: do we want a base class

  • From: Tyler Baker <tyler@infinet.com>
  • To: David Ornstein <davido@pragmaticainc.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 20:01:06 -0400

David Ornstein wrote:

> David Megginson wrote [10:39 AM 1/3/98 ]:
> >I should clarify: the SAX interfaces and the XmlAppBase base class
> >will be written only once for each programming language, and they will
> >live in their own package (in languages that use packages).
> >XmlAppBase will depend only on the interfaces for information -- in
> >other words, there will be no such thing as a SAX-implementing parser
> >without the base class (parser writers need not be concerned with the
> >base class at all).
>
> Ahh.  I was assuming that we were aiming to be able to have the SAX Client
> and SAX Implemention be in different languages.  The practical case I'm
> thinking about is that I write in C++ and would like to be able to use the
> Java-based Implementations.  Assuming a platform (for example win32) that
> provides interoperability at the interface level between multiple
> languages, or really any language-neutral IDL-based mechanism, shouldn't
> that be possible?
>
> I guess we should answer that question first.
>
> If we say that, yes, we want cross-language interoperability (and IDL?),
> then I maintain my stand.  If not, I quickly retract...
>
> David

As long as SAX does not have any language dependent features from Java such as
extending classes in the core Java API.  I think it would be much better to just
have an interface that does not extend anything, and then leave the
implementation details (whether or not to use java.util.Dictionary or the new
java.util.Map class in JDK 1.2).  In fact, it would be great if this sort of
stuff was defined in OMG IDL and even Microsoft IDL (for DCOM) if at all
possible.  There are many times where ORB's like CORBA provide a bridge between
new applications which may use XML and legacy applications like databases which
are too inconvenient to get at with just Java and JDBC.  So again, why not just
do all of this in IDL?

Tyler

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest