   Re: SAX: Parser Interface (question 9 of 10)

  • From: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 21:46:45 -0500

David Megginson wrote:
> - it will be necessary to write separate frontends for some parsers to
>   implement this functionality;

I'm not sure I understand this. Doesn't SAX pretty much imply separate
front-ends?

> - extending java.lang.Runnable is Java-specific, and the concept may
>   not translate well to other languages.

I don't see this as a big problem. The IDL spec. will just leave this
constraint out. On the other hand, are you really ready to force every
SAX implementor to think through the concurrency issues in Java? Would
your Java interface description define synchronization etc.?

> Note that the zero-argument constructor is required for this sort of
> approach.

It's too bad that Java has this arbitrary limitation. This setFoo,
setBar, run() interface is really ugly. newInstances should take an
array of objects as parameters to the constructor (not that SAX can
change that!!).

 Paul Prescod
--
http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

Art is always at peril in universities, where there are so many people,
young and old, who love art less than argument, and dote upon a text
that provides the nutritious pemmican on which scholars love to chew.
				-- Robertson Davies in "The Cunning Man"

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)