   Re: SAX: How many interfaces?

  • From: james anderson <mecom-gmbh@mixx.de>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 21:13:24 +0100

greetings,

David Megginson wrote:

> For SAX, how much does the number of interfaces and classes matter?
> My original plan was to have something like this in the *.sax package

i'm against limiting the number of interfaces apriori. put the handlers in an
inheritance hieracrchy, let the user bind the productions they wish to use to
specific classes with the desired, more complex behaviour. the behaviour of
those productions in which they have no interested remains bound to a generic
class which does "nothing". the application requires only load those classes it
actually uses, but it can make this decision at run-time... !

> public interface Parser {
>
>   public void setEntityHandler (EntityHandler handler);
>   public void setDocumentHandler (DocumentHandler handler);
>   public void setErrorHandler (ErrorHandler handler);
>
>   void parse (String publicID, String systemID)
>       throws java.lang.Exception;
>
> }

it would be better to bind the handlers by name, rather than to have a static
function space.

james,

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest