   SAX: Java Package org.xml.sax

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: Jon.Bosak@eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 06:56:24 -0500

Jon Bosak writes:

 > I reserved xml.org for exactly the kind of public use being discussed
 > here and have no other plans for it.  The main idea was to prevent
 > someone from doing dumb things with the name; I had a vague idea that
 > it might be useful for standard DTDs or a root URN domain for XLinks
 > or something like that.  The domain does not correspond to any real
 > server at the moment; there isn't even a default email account.  But
 > if it's felt to be useful as a reserved piece of the DNS name space, I
 > would be happy to dedicate it to the use of the XML developer
 > community.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank both Jon Bosak and Tim Bray
publicly for generously offering the use of their xml.* domain names
for the Java implementation of SAX.

Although in fact neither xml.org nor xml.com currently corresponds to
any actual company or organisation, and both would have been
appropriate choices, I think that on balance an *.org domain gives a
greater _appearance_ of neutrality than a *.com domain, and even the
mere appearance of neutrality is essential in a highly-politicised
climate like the Java world: as a result, I propose that the Java
implementation of SAX use the package "org.xml.sax":

 org.xml.sax.Parser
 org.xml.sax.Application
 org.xml.sax.ValueMap
 org.xml.sax.AppBase