   Re: XML as an alternative to Object Serialization?

  • From: Tyler Baker <tyler@infinet.com>
  • To: Dmitri Kondratiev <dima@paragraph.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:48:47 -0500

Dmitri Kondratiev wrote:

> At 17:59 13.01.98 -0500, Tyler Baker wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >Now my idea rests upon the power of Reflection in JDK 1.1+.  I have had
> >experience in using Reflection to auto-map Java class files and
> >interfaces to a relational database by auto-generating SQL create
> >scripts, and I had the idea that XML could be used as an alternative to
> >Object Serialization for small to medium sized content.  XML of course
> >is much fatter as a persistence framework than something like Object
> >Serialization but for web browsers and the web in general, embedding
> >this info via XML in a page may make more sense in some circumstances,
> >especially since you would get the added boon of your Java Object being
> >cached on the users computer.
> >
> [...]
>
> It may be interesting for you to check the JSXML work that Bill laForge at
> OpenGroup is doing (being able to serialize a Bean to XML) at :
>
> http://www.camb.opengroup.org/cgi-bin/mailbox.pl

Thanx for the pointer.  I am not surprised someone is already doing this.  Another
thing I think would possibly be a good idea that I have heard some discussion about
is a universal component architecture that is interpreted at run time.  The work
that has gone on with VRML over the last few years seems like a start for this, even
though VRML's application is more 3D in scope.  Hey, I love JavaBeans and yes there
is the JavaBeans -> ActiveX bridge, but I think that some sort of true universal
component architecture based somewhat on MVC with the model being something like
XML, the view being something like VRML, and the controller being a platform
specific event handler like in Microsoft's DHTML would be a true first start.

Tyler

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)