   Re: SAXDOM 0.1 Release Announcement

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:47:56

At 12:45 21/01/98 -0800, Don Park wrote:
>Fellow XML Developers,
>
>In the course of changing my application to use SAX (Simple API for XML), I
>went overboard and ended up writing SAX to W3C DOM bridge which I thought I
>would share with you.
>
>I called the bridge SAXDOM (please no jokes!;-) and it can be found at:
>
>http://www.quake.net/~donpark/saxdom.html

Thanks very much indeed Don, this sounds wonderful. [I haven't been able to
have a look yet.]

I have been converting Jumbo to SAX - not yet finished. Not because it's
difficult, but because I have upgraded to the latest Lark and AElfred as
part of it and that has caused other things that I've had to hack through
the  software.

SAX looks wonderful to me and I congratulate David on it and the
implementations that he has provided.  I have two questions:

	- can SAX be used to work with 'sysin' input? At present (rightly)
everything is in terms of java.net.URL or the equivalent SysIDs. However it
is possible that we may come across chunks of 'raw' XML being emitted by
tools which don't have a URL address, like (UNIX-like):
		ls | ls2xml | mysaxapp
(where ls2xml is a fictitious tool that takes the output of ls and emits WF
XML and  mysaxapp is an XML application that takes XML and (say) draws a
GUI representation of it.

	- is it still possible to process non-SAX events from Lark, AElfred, etc.
Does one hack LarkDriver, etc? [This may be trivially obvious when I get
that far...]

	P.

><spam>
>Come visit my XML Example Catalog at