   Re: Content roles in XML

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:02:50

At 15:07 22/01/98 -0500, Jim Amsden wrote:
Thanks for the posting Jim.

Your example raises a second completely independent, rather picky, problem
that is likely to be a common one. (I hope I have it right :-)

><!ATTLIST EventSet
>  %FeatureDescriptor;
>
>  listenerType CDATA #REQUIRED
>  isInDefaultEventSet (true | false) "false"
>  isUnicast (true | false) "false"

This is incorrect XML and bites almost every newcomer to SGML (and now
XML). For interoperability (see [59] and 3.3.1 Validity Constraint -
Enumeration) you may not have two enumerated attribute values the same,
even though they occur in different attributes. This is because it's
illegal in SGML. (The reason is because in SGML you can arrange to minimise
the typing by leaving out the attribute *names* ).  So you have to rename
them somehow:
	>  isInDefaultEventSet (true | false) "false"
	>  isUnicast (oui | non) "non"
etc.
	You might try running your ATTLIST through one or more parsers and seeing
what happens. It is billed as a 'validity constraint', so it would be
interesting to see under what conditions the parsers trap it.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev