   (fwd) Re: Netscape Communicator to go under GPL

  • From: Per-Ake Ling <Per-Ake.Ling@uab.ericsson.se>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 16:30:08 +0100

Although a slightly off-topic, since following mail may be of interest
I am taking the liberty of reposting it to this group.

Per-Åke
--
Per-Åke Ling	(note: Per-&Aring;ke, transliteration Per-Ake)
email:	Per-Ake.Ling@uab.ericsson.se	phone:  +46  8 727 5674

----- Begin Included Message -----
From eragfon@era-t.ericsson.se Sat Jan 24 14:58:10 1998

I saw this comment in a newsgroup, as it seems from a Netscape person
commenting on their press release. I interpret his comment to mean
that Netscape are discontinuing their client side development and
handing it over to the 'net community'. Notice him saying 'really get
out of the way of a net-community based effort' :

Forwarded News Article :

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:50:39 -0800, in comp.infosystems.www.misc
Michael Toy <mtoy@netscape.com> wrote:

>Greg Fenton wrote:
>> For those who haven't heard:
>>
>> http://www.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html?cp=nws01flh1
>>
>> Now, how does Microsoft come back against this?
>
>This is an announcement of intention.  We are working hard
>to figure out not only how we make the source available, but to also
>really get out of the way of a net-community based effort to make
>great client-side software.
>
>It make take a month or two for us to get a reasonable source distribution
>and to figure out how we change our development plans based on this.
>
>The major problem is that right now we are about half way through the 5.0
>effort, which is a major effort to introduce stability and increase
>performance, and decrease memory use of the 4.* product.  We could probably
>ship the 4.* source sooner than the 5.* source, but it isn't clear that is
>the right thing.
>
>Be patient, we are serious, and are seriously trying to do the right thing,
>not just generate interesting press releases.
>
>-Michael

---
Gunnar Forsgren  Ericsson Radio Systems AB
ERA/T/D Radio Communications Software Research
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden
"These opinions are my own"