   Re: SDATA or UNICODE

  • From: "Martin Bryan" <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 13:51:25 -0000

Arjan

>As far as I can see there is no character (Dutch) FLORIN SIGN or EURO
>SIGN in unicode (yet). Suppose I need to specify that character; in the
>old SGML days I simply referenced system data SDATA for euro or florin;
>the receiving system should be able to cope with that, and it was true
>data supplied by the system, i.e. could be interpreted as a character
>(sequence). It seems incorrect to replace it by a data entity or special
>element, as in both cases the result would not be interpreted as a
>character, but of a data object/element.
>
>In other words, how do I specify my small salary in euro's?

The official entity name is &euro; - its definition will have the form:

<!ENTITY euro "&#128;">

if running on a Microsoft system as Microsoft have assigned Hex 80 as the
codepoint.
TC304 have assigned it to Hexadecimal B1 in ISO 8859, and its ISO 10646 code
point is 20AC, so the following should be the formal XML reference to it:

<!ENTITY euro &#X20ac; >
Martin Bryan, 29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029 E-mail: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com
For more information about The SGML Centre contact
http://www.sgml.u-net.com
For more information about the European Commission's
Open Information Interchange (OII) initiative contact
http://www.echo.lu/oii/en/oiistand.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)