   Re: SDATA or UNICODE

  • From: Chris Maden <crism@ora.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:55:37 -0500

[Martin Bryan]
> Chris, show me one product that supports &#20ac; - then try using
> &#128; on latest releases of Microsoft products. You'll then see why
> I made the distinction.

Show me one product that complies fully with the XML specification and
I'll show you one that supports &#x20ac;.  I fully understand that
&#128; will work on platform-dependent systems like broken HTML
browsers.  But this is the XML developers' list, and I don't want
anyone without your history of experience to get confused by your
unqualified statement.

For the same reason, I wince whenever anyone mentions CONREF, SDATA,
or minimization on this list.  I gave a talk last April to the SGML
Forum of New York on what XML wasn't, from an SGML point of view.
Most of the people in the room were happy.  There was one poor fellow
who was new to SGML, who was terrified by how complex XML seemed.  If
we can keep discussions to what XML *is*, or at least carefully
qualify any statements about what it isn't, and only use those for
contrast, there will be much less danger of confusion for newcomers.

-Chris

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)