   Re: SDATA or UNICODE

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:21:22 +1100

> From: Arjan Loeffen <Arjan.Loeffen@let.ruu.nl>

> So, in my opinion, following the replies to my earlier question, I think XML
> should start to support SDATA (as in SGML) and a way of allowing a system to
> determine what character the replacement text represents (which is 'covered' by
> public character sets in SGML).

Does anyone know what cunning plans the W3C font service people are up to?
>From my glance they seem to be looking for a way to distribute (= sell?)
fonts over the web, while we are looking at how to get a single glyph.
Anything XML does should fit in with them, I suppose.

Gavin Nicol started a group on this issue a little while back, but I think
it was derailed by more immediate issues.

Certainly I think a PI system that "shortrefs" user-defined characters
to Xpointers that index into a font held remotely would be the best way.
Anyone like that idea?

Rick Jelliffe

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest