   Re: While on the subject of W3C submissions

  • From: Sean Russell <ser@javalab.uoregon.edu>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:59:48 -0800 (PST)

[Don Park, on 29 Jan]
>  [Tim Bray]
>  >  http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/NOTE-HTMLThreading-0105
>  >
>  >Now there's a cool XML application, and one that'll touch us all,
>  >if y'ask me. -Tim
>
>  I agree.  I think we need a similar paper addressing generic data threading
>  issues.  I wonder if it is better to work on the problem of using XML to
>  solve data threading or the problem of threading XML documents?

I'm of two minds about this.  This kind of markup is useful for
document sharing and revisions, and I can see an application for it in
email.  At the risk of being considered a throw-back, I'm concerned by
the amount of bulk this kind of markup is going to add to your average
email.  Plain HTML adds a small amount of bulk, but often doesn't
increase the average email size beyond 50%.  I can see that
HTMLThreading would often more than double the size of emails.

--
<|>       ser@javalab.uoregon.edu <-> http://jersey.uoregon.edu/ser
/|\       ------- [           Software Engineer          ] --------
/|                [ PGP info available from my web site  ]

PGP signature