   First experiences with XSL

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:18:05 -0500

Michael Kay writes:

 > I have yet to spot any disadvantages. I haven't looked at
 > performance or footprint, but I can't see any intrinsic reason why
 > XSL should be smaller or faster. (Currently some of the methods
 > like isLastOfType() are very inefficient due to the limited
 > navigation capabilities in MSXML. I could speed it up if I built my
 > own tree!).

If you're working in Java, instead of building your own tree you might
want to take a look at Don Park's SAXDOM:

  http://www.quake.net/~donpark/saxdom.html

Neither the DOM nor SAX is finalised yet (though SAX is closer), and I
haven't had a chance to test Don's package yet, but there are still a
couple advantages to avoiding a proprietary tree structure:

1) You will have to make fewer changes later on.

2) Since Don's package uses SAX, your code will work with any
   supported parser rather than just Microsoft's (currently, there are
   SAX drivers for NXP, Lark, AElfred, XP, _and_ MSXML); eventually,
   it will work for any parser with DOM support as well.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@freenet.carleton.ca