   problems with emacs xml-mode

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: Dave Carlson <dcarlson@ontogenics.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 17:57:13 -0500

Dave Carlson writes:

 > I have the xml-mode installed for emacs (running on WinNT 4.0), using the
 > most current versions of each.  Although I can edit XML docs reasonably
 > well, I have a couple of significant problems.  I'm not a regular emacs
 > user, so maybe the solution lies is configuring emacs for NT.
 >
 > 1.  The right mouse button doesn't bring up the context menu, but
 > shift-rightMouse does bring up the menu.  Right mouse button alone does nothing.

It depends on which Emacs you're using.  With XEmacs, the right mouse
button brings up the dialog; with vanilla Gnu Emacs (the source of the
NT port), it seems to be shift-right-mouse.  Nothing in my patches
should affect the mouse buttons -- have you seen the same behaviour in
PSGML without my XML patches?

 > 2.  The DTD is parsed, but all element names are folded into all lower case.
 > Does the current version of xml-mode support mixed-case element names?  If
 > so, what am I doing wrong?

Are you certain that you're using the latest version of the patches
(from Fall 1997) and that you're actually in XML rather than SGML
mode?  Does it read 'XML' or 'SGML' in the mode bar at the bottom?

 > 3.  The attributes defined for an element are added into the document tag in
 > reverse order compared to their definition in the DTD.  I'd prefer
 > consistent ordering.
 >          For example:
 >                 <!ELEMENT Class ( Comment?, (field)* ) >
 >                 <!ATTLIST Class name ID #REQUIRED >
 >                 <!ATTLIST Class extends IDREF #IMPLIED >
 >
 >         Produces the XML document:
 >                 <class extends="bar" name="foo">
 >                 </class>

This is another general PSGML issue -- it behaves the same way without
my XML patches.

 > 4.  Font highlighting has some problems.  I've configuring my _emacs file
 > according to earlier posts in this list, but the text  highlighing only
 > appears after I've used the context menu to insert a new tag.  Then, the
 > text is only highlighted from that point *backward* in the document.  When I
 > first load a document, no text is highlighted.

Again, this is not directly related to the XML patches.  PSGML will
highlight only the parts of the document that it has already parsed.
In Unix, at least, it will eventually parse ahead and highlight the
whole thing.

Thanks for the note, and all the best,

David

--