   Re: Empty elements

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:20:10 -0800

Jani Jaakkola writes:

 > If i understood this correctly, SAX is also not designed for
 > interoperatibility. If you want to generate pre-WebSGML from XML
 > using SAX (and accept that lexical information is not preserved),
 > you still would need the ability to detect empty declared elements.

SAX is an XML processing interface rather than an authoring interface,
so interoperability is not exactly an applicable concept (though I do
understand what you mean).  That said, some XML tools that use SAX
also have their own interfaces that can provide you with DTD
information -- for one example, see AElfred at

  http://www.microstar.com/XML/

All the best,

David

--