   Announcement: New PSGML-XML Additions

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:25:50 -0500

I've updated my XML patches for PSGML.  I've had very little time to
devote to this, but I've managed to make two important changes, at
least (the others are still in the queue):

1) Fixed a highlight-related PSGML bug that caused errors when there
   was a processing instruction before the DOCTYPE declaration (this
   is a big problem in XML, for obvious reasons).

2) Fixed PSGML's support for the `sgml-system-path' variable, and set
   the initial value of the variable automatically from the
   environment variable SGML_SEARCH_PATH (as used by NSGMLS), if
   present.

The second one turns out to be a very useful change.  If you do
something like

  (setq sgml-system-path '("." "/usr/local/lib/sgml/global"))

or (for NSGMLS support as well)

  export SGML_SEARCH_PATH
  SGML_SEARCH_PATH=".:/usr/local/lib/sgml/global"

and then put the file `spec.dtd' in /usr/local/lib/sgml/global, then
you can always reference that DTD with a relative URL as if it were in
the current directory (NSGMLS has always allowed this, but it wasn't
fully implemented in PSGML).  That means that

  <!DOCTYPE spec SYSTEM "spec.dtd">

works, and you no longer have to copy the DTD file into every
directory that uses it.  I've also fixed the parsing of environment
variables so that ';' can be the separator in DOS/Windows, though I
haven't tested that part yet.

You can download the patches from my home page,

  http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/dmeggins/

Have fun!

David

--