   LISTRIVIA

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 10:31:23

At 16:02 21/02/98 -0800, [a number of posters in combination] wrote:

[A message]

> [...]

[which quoted another message in full]

[which itself quoted another message in full]

[and finished with cascading xml-dev backmatter].

and in another message a simple question was asked followed by cascading
quoted messages which added no value.

Since new members are continually joining the list - and we welcome them
:-) - , I'll reiterate our policy for minimising the amount of material
posted. Remember that:
	- many people pay personal money for mail (including me)
	- duplicated material is excessively tedious on the hypermail list and
takes up valuable space
	- duplication takes up space on reader's local storage.
	- automatic quoting is not a good approach towards managing information.
XML encourages people to normalise material as much as possible.

Please therefore excise all material that you don't directly refer to in
your message. Most people prefer to see the quoted material followed by the
annotation rather than the annotation followed by the original message.
Remember that the material is all hypermailed and publicly visible and
(optionally) available as a digest. Both of these should be attractive to
read. :-)

For more details and suggestions of other styles to adopt/avoid, you may
wish  to follow the various LISTRIVIA threads. These also comment on
multiple copies of postings :-)

	P.
net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg