   Re: SAX: finalising org.sax.xml.Parser

  • From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:23:07 +0700

>    public void parse (InputStream is, String baseURI)
>      throws java.lang.Exception;
>    public void parse (char ch[], int start, int length, String baseURI)
>      throws java.lang.Exception;

I don't think this last one is a good idea.  If you want something that
operates on a stream of characters as opposed to bytes, it should be

  void parse(Reader r, String baseURI)

Using an array of chars is as bad an idea as it would be to replace the
InputStream method with a method that operates on an array of bytes.

I am not convinced this really buys you anything.  It's easy enough to
write an InputStream that takes an array of chars and presents then as a
sequence of UTF-16 encoded bytes.  It also raise some problems since the
XML spec doesn't define the operation of a processor on an sequence of
chars.  For example, what if anything should the processor do with an
encoding declaration in this case?

If you don't want to put Readerin to avoid dependency on JDK 1.1, I
would suggest simply leaving this out for now.

James

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)