   Re: SAX: finalising org.sax.xml.Parser

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 17:06:48

At 16:10 25/02/98 +0000, Juergen Modre wrote:
[...]
>- setValidate(true);
>  That the document/stream should also be validated during parsing.
>
>The question where there is exactly the border between well-formedness
>parsing and validation parsing should be left to the parser. This border
>can be found in the XML spec.
>The SAX interface is/should be useable for both classes of XML parsers
>and give also the possibility to enable/disable validation.
>

>But I agree that it is sometimes not easy to see the clear border
>between well-formedness parsing and validation parsing in the XML spec.

This is an area that I (and I think others) have difficulty with, although
I think there are many who are clear how different parsers behave. This
also interacts with the 'standalone' value in the xml PI. There is also
some potential confusion as to when and how the presence/absence of the
external subset makes a difference.

If my worries are unfounded, then it should be possible to create a precise
description of what parameters, files, internal subsets etc. and need to
control the behaviour of a SAX-compliant parser and what it should do. In
which case it would be very helpful to see it set out clearly and I'll shut
up.  If, however, there still is confusion then we shall discover it in
these attempts :-)

P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg