   re: XML Documents Are Objects! (or "Killing OO Softly With XML")

  • From: Bill la Forge <b.laforge@opengroup.org>
  • To: Paul Pazandak <pazandak@OBJS.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 17:32:58 -0500

Paul,

I've been proposing effectively the same thing on the
java-xml-interest@opengroup.org list.

I've been using the term COIN to express this concept--a coin has
two faces, an XML element and a Java Object.

Bill

For information about java-xml-interest, see
  http://www.camb.opengroup.org/~laforge/jxml.html

>>From java-xml-interest-request@opengroup.org  Mon Mar  9 20:03:05 1998
>Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 20:09:11 -0500
>To: java-xml-interest@opengroup.org
>From: Bill la Forge <b.laforge@opengroup.org>
>Subject: State of Coins
>
>The tests for coins now successfully executes the following XML:
>
>  <PROGRAM START="HERE">
>    <COIN TYPE="TEST" CLASS="TestFace"/>
>    <TEST ID="HERE" XYZ="123"/>
>  </PROGRAM>
>
>This is run simply with the command:
>  java ORG.opengroup.coins.Coins text4.xml
>where test4.xml contains the above document. The output from the test is:
>  XYZ=123
>
>The code for the coin TestFace is found at:
>  http://www.camb.opengroup.org/~laforge/axtp/src/ORG/opengroup/coins/tests/TestFace.java
>
>My contention is that coins are "better" than Java Beans, though it is difficult
>to make any valid determination on the basis of such a small sample size (1!).
>
>My intention is to begin converting AXTP to use coins.
>
>I further contend that my XML processor is pretty bad. The fact that it now has
>semantic support for ids and idrefs doesn't really change that. The processor
>can be found at:
>  http://www.camb.opengroup.org/~laforge/axtp/src/ORG/opengroup/coins/Coins.java
>(I've also taken care that the processor will work with signed elements, only
>recomposing those elements on output which were "dirty".)
>
>Dmitri and Gavin find coins to be a subset of DOM.

>As one of the DOm WG members, I can tell you there is no conflict. You
>could use DOM for some of the things in Coins, but with a probable
>loss in performance.
>
><<<
>
>I conclude from this that the api which Dmitri referenced should be, at least in part,
>used where appropriate. (Why have needless variations?)
>
>You may enjoy the new coins package documentation at:
>  http://www.camb.opengroup.org/~laforge/axtp/api/Package-ORG.opengroup.coins.html
>
>I've also updated the AXTP zip file to include
>this latest version of the coins package:
>  http://www.camb.opengroup.org/~laforge/axtp/#related_links
>
>All in all, its been a productive evening.
>Bill

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)