   LISTRIVIA

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:40:15

At 12:42 20/03/98 -0800 (and during the last 2 weeks) , [some new, and some
veteran, members]
 wrote:
<a useful message>
followed by, or including, a
<a large amount of not very useful quoted material including the XML-DEV
signature>.
and some sent multiple copies to list members.

We welcome the new members to the list :-). We adopt an XML-like discipline
in posting and try to follow simple guidelines:
	- reply only to the list (xml-dev) and not to the poster. Easy to avoid -
just delete the poster's name from the To: or CC: fields
	- only include quoted material if it helps the reader. The list is
archived as HTML and this is a very convenient way to browse postings. Many
people (including me) have to pay for mail traffic and so we try to keep
the volume to a minimum. It's also good XML-discipline - if you use the
same text in more than one place, your should think about entities of XLL
rather than cut-and-paste.

	Anyone is welcome on XML-DEV but in general it isn't the right place for
(appropriate place in parentheses):
	- "what is this XML thing anyway?" (www.ucc.ie/xml and
www.sil.org/sgml/xml.html)
	- "I don't like feature X in XML - let's change it". (specially appointed
groups of the W3C)
	- stylesheets (xsl-list@mulberrytech.com)
	- general discussion of xml issues (xml-l@LISTSERV.HEA.IE)

	P.