   Re: Relational Tables and structured documents

  • From: Lisa Rein <lisarein@finetuning.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 22:13:51 -0800

I've been exploring this area of making complex queries on a
meta-data-filled object-relational database through an ODBC interface
(multidimensional database, containing complex data types a la XML-Data)
for a few weeks now...and, although I haven't tried to implement
anything yet....it seemed like the resources might prove useful in the
context of this discussion.  -- Lisa

http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~bonner/papers.html
Anthony Bonner's Papers

http://www.cs.brown.edu/research/oodb/papers/icde-format-dist.ps
 The AQUA Approach to Querying Lists and Trees in Object-Oriented
Databases, Bharathi Subramanian, Theodore W. Leung, Scott L. Vandenberg
and Stanley B. Zdonik, Proceedings of the International Conference on
Data Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan, 1995

http://www.cs.brown.edu/research/oodb/papers/dbpl-93-algebra.ps
 The AQUA Data Model and Algebra, Theodore W. Leung, Gail Mitchell,
Bharathi Subramanian, Bennet Vance, Scott L. Vandenberg and Stanley B.
Zdonik, Proceedings of the Fourth  International Workshop on Database
Programming Languages, New York, 1993

http://www.cs.brown.edu/research/oodb/papers/dbpl-93-ordered.ps
          Ordered Types in the AQUA Data Model, Bharathi Subramanian,
Stanley B. Zdonik, Theodore   W. Leung and Scott L. Vandenberg,
Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on
          Database Programming Languages, New York, 1993

http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs227/papers/b0/equiv.ps
 Object-Oriented Queries: Equivalence and Optimization, Gail M.
Shaw and Stanley B. Zdonik, Proceedings of the First Conference of
Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases, Tokyo, Japan, 1989.

ftp://wilma.cs.brown.edu/u/mfc/mutability.ps.Z
ftp://wilma.cs.brown.edu/u/mfc/pos96.ps.Z
   The Effects of Mutability on Querying (~90K)
     Mitch Cherniack and Eui-Suk Chung, February, 1996. (Compressed
Postscript)      The ability of an object to mutate is one of the
definingcharacteristics of Object-Oriented Databases
     (OODBs). But the impact of object mutability on querying is
typically ignored. Presumably, this is because queries are usually
assumed free of side-effects, and therefore objects are effectively
immutable    while they are queried. But mutability affects other object
behaviors aside from how they change, such as how they are compared for
equality, and if it is possible to detect that they are shared. In this
paper, we     show how these behaviors impact querying in general and
query optimization and mutable set construction in particular.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)