   Experimenting with Namespaces - DTDs?

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:10:05 -0500

Chris Smith writes:

 > For those who either are experimenting or considering experimenting
 > with namespaces - I'm curious how the related DTDs should look.
 >
 > The following fragment comes from ex.3 of the XML-Namespace WD, a
 > work-in-progress.
 >
 > <E:Order>
 >   <dsig:dsig>
 >     <E:Manifest>80183589575795589189518915</E:Manifest>
 >
 > My question is simply: what is the definition for "Order" ?

You would have to do something like this:

  <!ELEMENT E:Order (dsig:dsig, ...)>
  <!ELEMENT dsig:dsig (E:Manifest, ...)>
  <!ELEMENT E:Manifest (#PCDATA)>

The Namespace WD does not propose any DTD changes, and the only
existing spec for XML is the 1.0 REC -- making any changes to that
would require a whole new process.

It is entirely possible that a standardised, higher-level schema
language will emerge in the future; however, when you convert your
schema to an XML 1.0 DTD for exchange, the DTD will have to have all
of the relevant element type names and attribute names prefixed.

The DTD syntax could, of course, change in future versions of XML,
depending on what the XML WG and the W3C decide.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@freenet.carleton.ca