   Re: Root Element Attributes...

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 14:47:01 +1000

Tyler Baker wrote:

> I am a little confused by whether attributes are allowed in the root
> element of a document.  To date I have never seen a DTD in which the
> root element had any attributes whatsoever, but from the specification
> it appears that there is no restriction on making one root element with
> about 500 or so attributes (I am not saying I would ever do this).

Yes, the root element is as capable as any other element of supporting
attributes. An element is regarded as the root only by virtue of occurrence; it
is the first element to occur in the instance and it does not have any siblings.
Therefore any element can be the root or doctype element - it depends only on
where you begin regarding the structure from.

--
Regards

Marcus Carr                  email:  mrc@allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia)  email:  info@allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street     www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia    phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                             fax:    +61 2 9262 4774