   possibility of an RTF, LaTex XML conversion process (fwd)

  • From: signell@physnet.pa.msu.edu
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 14:41:46 -0400 (EDT)

David Megginson writes:

> Baden Hughes writes:
>
>  > Both Don Park and David Megginson mentioned this in the last few
>  > of any work on either of these ? I'd be very interested to hear
>  > about it. If not, is there any other interest in these conversions
>  > besides mine ?
>
> Simply doing a lexical transformation of RTF or vanilla LaTeX to XML
> is, if not trivial, at least straight-forward; the challenge is
> getting from the very loose structure and semantics of RTF or LaTeX to
> a real-world XML document type.

Amen!  I am up-converting a technical book in LaTeX that has literally
thousands of format directives, each of which must be replaced by
a descriptor showing the author's intent.  I used Perl to do some
automatically, but about half needed decisions by a content expert.

--
Peter Signell              |  signell@physnet.pa.msu.edu
Physics-Astronomy          |  (517) 353-2047  |  FAX (517) 432-3637

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)