   Re: XLINK discussion

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 20:22:40 -0400

At 04:37 AM 4/16/98 -0400, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
>There are as yet relatively few implementations of XLink and since there
>has been little experience with it so far it's certainly appropriate to
>discuss the strategy of implementation.  Eliot Kimber wrote an extremely
>valuable contribution last year (search the archive :-) which is worth
>revisiting.
>
>Personally I feel that XLink is one of the most powerful areas of the XML
>family  and some generic tools would be extremely useful.  For example both
>XML-data and RDF might benefit from being expressed in XLink if a link
>processor were available. Is this reasonable?
>
>I am certainly looking to use Xlink as the first choice for expressing
>@relations' in science and technology - based on the hope that tools will
>become available. A major advantage - as with all XML - is that it is much
>more accessible to normal mortals than other approaches.

I think it's reasonable for XML-Data, RDF, and any other "application of
XML" to use XLink if it needs to contain linking elements.  RDF, at least,
already plans to use XLink for references to resources.

I'm starting to see a lot of small, unprepossessing implementations of
XLink and XPointer all over the place.  I doubt any of these are wholly
conforming yet (and the specs are far too new for this yet!), but it's
encouraging to see that implementation is not only not impossible, but
reasonable to accomplish.

	Eve

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest