   SAX: close() method for streams

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: "Xml-Dev List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:03:38 -0400

Andrew n marshall writes:

 > IBM's XML for Java has an interface called StreamProducer that is
 > very similar to your SAXEntityResolver.  If you look at the new
 > version Kent Tamura released last Friday, you'll notice that he
 > also added the closeStream(InputStream) method to the
 > StreamProducer interface.  While this seems strange at first, when
 > I recompiled my code implementing the new method, I realized why
 > this was necessary: InputStream.close() throws an exception and
 > this is a simple way of adding a means to catch, and deal with, the
 > error.
 >
 > Perhaps SAX should have something similar.  Maybe  I thinking in terms that
 > are too Java dependant, but the idea makes sense to me.

There is still time left to add this if we need it.  I had assumed
that the application would be responsible both for opening and for
closing the stream -- is there any reason to provide a way for the
parser to signal that it's not trying to read any more bytes or
characters, when the parser will try to keep reading until EOF or an
error anyway?

What does everyone else think?

Thanks, and all the best,

David