   LISTRIVIA (was Re: Repost: DOM XML Level 1 question)

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:43:18

At 09:33 24/04/98 -0400, Siping Liu wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I posted this question yestoday and yet to get any reply. Here it goes again.
>If
>you know the answer please help.

Hi there,
	Reposting questions to XML-DEV isn't going to help get answers quickly, I
am afraid, and will annoy some people who might otherwise have replied.
[Despite the rapidity of Web-based processes, a day isn't a very long time
to wait.]

	All postings to this list are made voluntarily. People do this because
they think they can help. There are lots of reasons why they may not reply
to your question, such as:
	- they don't know the answer (that's why I haven't replied, and I suspect
most others haven't).
	- they are not sure how to answer it (this may also be a factor)
	- their boss doesn't approve of them spending time on the Internet.
	- their partner/kids don't approve either.
	- they haven't had any sleep for the last 2 days...
etc.

	If it helps you, people often don't reply to my questions either. This is
probably because the Qs are too simple; been suggested/asked before; the Qs
are too profound for the XML experts; I don't make them simple to
understand; they think I'm crazy, etc. and they have
bosses/kids/partners/cash_flow_crises, etc. You have to learn to live with
it. Try again in 2 months?

	The percentage of postings on XML-DEV which receive useful replies is very
high and we are all very grateful to everyone who takes time to reply. It
often costs them time/social_life, etc.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg