   Re: Open Standards Processes

  • From: "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman@ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Peter Murray-Rust" <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:24:01 -0700

.>>  Without XML-DEV I and others would be greatly
disadvantaged and I would not like to see it used to  criticise the XML
process.<<

I don't think any of us were criticizing the XML process, I think it works
well, it would however for a variety of reasons be nice to know some thing
of what is going on in the W3 Ivory halls!.

    For example we know that am XSL proposal is going to come out in July,
we know that the are probably going to do away with HTML flow objects (too
confusing), but what are they going to replace it with.

    I have a book coming out in June and I really have to write in some
depth about XSL. I also have to use the msxsl processor for any examples,
but by the time the book hits the market, it is probably going to be
redundant and I will have to post numerous addenda to a web site!!

    I have "guessed" what direction XSL is going to take, but I could be
(and probably am) wrong. Now someone from Microsoft is a technical reviewer
of the book, and if he is nice he will tell me if I am way off, but then on
the other hand he may not because officially he is not allowed to.

    It would certainly be advantageous to authors, and probably also to
members of W3 if we were made privy at least in a partial way to the thought
processes of the committee's.

    Frank