   Re: Open Standards Processes

  • From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 13:05:36 -0500

Tim Bray wrote:

> To be fair, while the structure is a bit weird on the face of it, there's
> a good reason.  Namely, a consortium such as W3C is highly vulnerable to
> litigation on antitrust and restraint-of-trade; anyone whose business
> plan goes up in smoke because the W3C blessed something incompatible might
> be inclined to sue, whether or not this is reasonable, simply hoping to
> be bought off.  If you look closely, legally, the W3C hardly exists
> at all - there is a structure of contracts with MIT, Inria, and Keio,
> and the decision-making is de jure done by one individual whom it would
> be worth no-one's while to sue.
>
> In practice, the W3C management and staff do pay careful attention to
> the views of its members. -Tim

It is understood. I don't attribute the problems to maliciousness
or conspiracy.  Immaturity and inexperience are the likely culprits.

I remember saying to Connoly et al some years ago that to make the
HTML/HTTP systems work and remain open (the subject was the predatory
practices of MS at the time), they would have to become monks
vowing poverty.  Sounds like that was the solution but hasn't worked.
(BTW:  not pounding on MS.  They have played by the rules in XML.  It
is the rules of the W3C that are flawed.  They suit the egos of
some and the needs of the owners, but ultimately, are destructive.)

The issue is the openness of the process, the lack of which paralyzes
competition.  Too often the excuse "Internet time" disallows
careful consideration in open forum.  Yet, Internet time also
makes it too easy for any company to get the kind of market lead
that eliminates competition.  Only a very experienced and
resourceful company such as MS was able to withstand and overcome
the lead of NS in the browser market.  As the twig is bent...

Results and means are both important.  As was feared originally,
the closure of the XML process enabled it to achieve the necessary
technical standard, but at a cost of the openness which characterized
the goals, the means, and the individuals whose staunch ethics with
regards to their work made SGML one of the truly independent
standards.  One price of this was SGML's disregard for the
implementation/systemic requirements.   The consequence of this
has been discussed elsewhere.

Yet the results of XML may be more limited, for while it has
a perceived new quality, it is still essentially the work of
Dr. Goldfarb, et al with systemic extensions.  Granted, the
tactic of renaming and representing it as an emerging technology
freed it from the hobbling effects of years of standards
wrangling followed by the well-promoted misconceptions of
those who designed HTML/HTTP, it has been at the cost of
surrendering it to the kind of domination which Dr. Goldfarb
and the ISO working groups resisted even at great personal
cost.

Markup, by design, frees the information.  XML,
by accident or design, may result in a monopoly on
the means of production.   This is at the heart of the
DOJ actions.  The consortium members would be well
served by scrupulous records and public view of the
XML process should these actions ever be cited in
well-financed and well-executed legal actions.  That
such records may not exist can be laid at the feet
of the chair, the process rules, and unwillingness
or inability to function in the open.

So, perhaps monkdom is the only solution.  It probably
takes practice to be a good monk and The Director et al
may not have mastered the practice.  Lawsuits have no
regard for the ability to recoup damages.  They are often
used simply to limit actions.  That is the learning curve
that Bill Gates refers to.

Observing the DOJ actions of late, a friend and coworker
observes that we may be entering a time when the societal
impact of complex technologies which overlap the demands
of law and contractual obligation will spawn a judiciary
specialized in the adjudication of technical suits.  In other
words, lawyers with CS degrees, essentially, Dr. Goldfarb's
background.  I don't think the computer scientists are ready
for the rigor of the juris disciplines.

If the standards process is not reopened after this highly
bizarre and somewhat unethical heisting of the international
process, I do think that the W3C will become entangled in the
suits emerging from the DOJ.   The VRML Consortium has a
much better model and it will behoove the Director to learn
from it.  The recommendations I made in the earlier post are
sound.

How odd that some will say "The HTML experience taught us
the futility of the open list process" when apparently that
process worked and produced a winning solution.

len bullard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)