   RE: Open Standards Processes

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <SimonStL@classic.msn.com>
  • To: "Xml-Dev (E-mail)" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 98 20:18:53 UT

Tim Bray:
| It
| might make all sorts of sense for the W3C to have "writers'
| memberships" - non-speaking access to the materials of one activity or
| another.  Such memberships wouldn't be free, a cost of perhaps $500 or
| so would bring it well within the bounds of a book-publishing budget
| while discouraging frivolity.

Jon Bosak:
>I think that's a really excellent suggestion.  And the cost should
>come out of the publisher, up front.

It sounds like there are going to be a lot of these sold, especially for XML,
if they come to pass.  That kind of access would certainly settle most of my
needs, but I wouldn't count on it to pacify those with 'exquisitely high
standards' who want to participate more actively.

Still, it's a great start!

(Does O'Reilly get a discount? They're already a member, though I think it's
their software side.)

Simon St.Laurent
Dynamic HTML: A Primer / XML: A Primer / Cookies

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)