   SAX Version Conflicts (was Re: SAX 1.0beta)

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:06:39 -0400

Peter Murray-Rust writes:

 > I have recently been trying to get a distribution for JUMBO2 which
 > interfaces with several parsers (at present AElfred, DXP and Lark, though
 > the limit is simple my time to test others). Having constructed these I
 > discovered weird bugs which bit me late and night and did not give up. I
 > have finally tracked the reason down to the fact that:
 > 	- DXP distributes a version of org.xml.sax, which is not compatible with
 > the final release SAX10beta.
 > 	- DXP was ahead of SAX in my classpath.
 > The loader therefore picked up this incompatible version.

This is the problem that I had planned to avoid by prefixing all of
the class names with "SAX...", but which, as people rightly pointed
out, is a very temporary one that shouldn't leave a permanent mark on
SAX.

The people at DataChannel have been very supportive of and helpful
with SAX, and I expect that this problem will vanish with a new DXP
release not too long after SAX moves out of beta (the latter event
will happen sometime this week, once everyone has had a chance to
submit bug reports or documentation corrections).

For the next couple of weeks, until we have new versions of AElfred,
DXP, XP, and IBM's XML for Java with SAX 1.0 drivers, it might make
sense to maintain two separate CLASSPATH's.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson                 ak117@freenet.carleton.ca