   RE: Advice on XML editor development

  • From: Bill la Forge <b.laforge@opengroup.org>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:11:54 -0400

My needs are somewhat different. I've written an extensible XML processor,
coins, and would like to turn it into a useful tool.

The current parser is quite brain dead, but then I wrote the silly thing
in one weekend:

  http://www.camb.opengroup.org/~laforge/coins/src/ORG/opengroup/coins/CoinLoader.java

I'm looking for a parser I can adopt to my needs or code I can crib. Specifically, a non-validating Java parser. (Speed is primary here, and
validation is done by the generated marshalling code anyway.) But a real
complicating factor is that I need to be able to parse the XML, modify the
parse tree, and then recreate XML for output. To date I've ignored entities,
as they could really complicate this process.

All the work I've done so far is pretty much unencumbered, requiring only that
the copyright notice be retained--even for commercial applications. So any code
I use needs to be similarly unencumbered.

Alternatively, I'd be glad to work with someone who has an interest in parsing.
For me, it is more of an obstacle than an opportunity.

Thanks!

Bill la Forge
Sr. Research Engineer
Research Institute of The Open Group