   Re: Open Standards Processes (WAS Re: Nesting XML based languages and

  • From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: "Steven R. Newcomb" <srn@techno.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:01:40 -0500

Steven R. Newcomb wrote:

> As for XML, I am inclined to withhold all comment except praise for
> the way the XML thing has been handled.  It's really quite an
> extraordinary example of "recruited public cooperation", and it
> reflects very well on both the recruiters and the participants.

Yes.  It meets the need and will serve.

>If all we can see is the political structure that allowed this XML
> crystalization to occur, we can't see what really happened.  It's so
> much more than that, the political structure pales to insignificance.

Yes.  But the structure is important and so are the rules.
OTW, it is an Orwellian future of consortia.  As the twig is bent...

> In the XML matter, I find particularly praiseworthy the care that has
> been taken, by many on all sides, to keep XML and its ISO bases in
> harmony with one another.  You Know Who You Are, and regardless of how
> things turn out, may future generations bless you for your hard work
> and thankless commitment to the longterm success of humanity's
> Civilization Experiment.  I'm pleasantly astonished to discover that,
> as near as I can tell, we're pretty much all fighting on the same side
> here.  We might as well recognize this fact for the miracle that it
> is, and take maximum advantage of it.

Yes.  Still, to tend the future we have to understand the past
and never forget that many worked long to carve the paths where
there now are roads.  By example were we taught, and by example
led.

> Thanks, Len, for making me pinch myself hard enough to realize that,
> after our years in the wilderness together, things are really pretty
> damn good and getting rapidly better.

And to you, my good friend, whom I have seen achieve much and
sacrifice much.  Some may bathe in a brighter light for that
is the product of a city, but I will always know it was my
distinct and undeserved privilege to watch you, your family,
and your friend Dr. Goldfarb lead with a torch where once
there were no paths, but only that wilderness to cross.

Now, there remain the songs.

len

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest