   Re: Advice on XML editor development

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 10:33:22 +0100

>Someone wrote:
>> No disrespect to all those in the XML community, but the
bulk
>> of the world uses tools other than Java. And it would be
>> nice to think that we, too, can make use of XML.
>
>I agree. At this point, Java is very high profile but makes
up only a
>tiny percentage of commercial projects.

There seems to be confusion here. Java is a wonderful tool
for developing objects in general and XML tools in
particular; ActiveX is a good environment for assembling and
integrating objects written in different languages. So the
obvious thing to do is to write your ActiveX objects in
Java. It is quite wrong to think that writing in Java cuts
you off from the non-Java community.

Specifically, I have found that Microsoft's javareg tool
makes it very easy to integrate Java classes into
applications written in languages such as VB and VBScript.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)