   Layout and Logical Structure in XML (was Re: Is anybody working on ...)

  • From: David Megginson <ak117@freenet.carleton.ca>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:31:12 -0400

[re: preserving formatting with XML]

The demands of codicographers and bibliographers are even more extreme
than those of market researchers or K-12 textbook readers.  When I was
doing my analysis of scribal spelling patterns in the major Old
English poetic manuscripts, I needed to markup page breaks, line
breaks, corrections and erasures, changes in scribal hand, editorial
variants, and sometimes even word spacing _in addition to_ the
metrical (a verse/b-verse) and logical (text/fitt) structure of the
manuscripts.

The Text Encoding Initiative has already spent around a decade working
on the problem of marking up concurrent structures such as these.
Some of their solutions involve features not available in XML 1.0
(especially inclusion exceptions), but it would be well worth while to
visit their site, if only to steal some ideas:

  http://www.uic.edu/orgs/tei/

All the best,

David

--