   Re: DOM Confusion

  • From: Mike Champion <mcc@arbortext.com>
  • To: Ray <ray@guiworks.com>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:09:58 -0400

At 09:41 AM 4/30/98 -0400, you wrote:

>My confusion comes from the fact that XMLNode doesn't inherit from
>Node in the DOM spec. Thus, XMLNode doesn't have functions on
>it like Node.getFirstChild(), or does it?

This was a typo (mine!).  XMLNode should have been defined to inherit from
Node.  Sorry for all the confusion this has caused.

>So why not dispense with XMLNode altogether and make the Node
>interface implement these functions? Simply define that expandEntities
>is "always true" for HTML documents, or some such.

Something like that is under consideration; I can't be more specific
because the methods for doing this have not been nailed down yet.

>3) extra nit: the function names are overly verbose and option #2
>would solve it.

Whimper .... the function names are verbose because of the astonishingly
complex web of constraints that they must satisfy.  "Brevity" is actually
one consideration, but less important than clarity, internal consistency,
avoiding clashes with existing APIs in widespread use, compatibility with
the name scoping scheme in ECMAScript .... etc.

Mike Champion

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)