   Re: Separation of formatting...

  • From: Dan Ancona <dan@intervista.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 16:56:41 -0700

At 08:14 PM 4/30/98 -0400, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> [ ... ]
> about rhetorical techniques of the public
> orator - phrasing, rhythm, delivery.  In
> other words, processing instructions.
> [ ... ]

IOW, the writing is to some extent output device independent, and oration
is just one such device?  That is SO cool.

Anyway, the gist I'm getting from this thread is that a rigorous separation
of formatting from any purely generic or abstract markup in a given XML
file format is not strictly necessary.  In fact, it could even be
beneficial in some circumstances and for some formats.  Correct?

If I'm right, this is a good thing, since it always seemed to me that
(despite how horribly broken in so many other ways) the unholy combination
of a partial procedural markup and the complete lack of generic markup
built into HTML was part of why it caught on.  At least you could easily
include the elements that you wanted, even if you couldn't actually lay
them out at first (and could only do so by using kloogey stuff like tables
and later).

Dan