   Re: XML & SGML

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@step.de>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 21:36:37 +0200

W. Eliot Kimber wrote:

> The inability to use parameter entities inside of declarations is the
> problem--unless I've misunderstood the restriction.

You have. (Thankfully. Reassuring to see that you can be wrong about
something. :)

<!ELEMENT foo (%bar;)>

is entirely valid in the external subset, but not in the internal. This
is the relevant part of the spec (from section 2.8):

"Well-Formedness Constraint: PEs in Internal Subset

          In the internal DTD subset, parameter-entity references can
          occur only where markup declarations can occur, not within
          markup declarations. (This does not apply to references that
          occur in external parameter entities or to the external
          subset.)"

I still haven't found a sensible way to implement this in the external
subsets, though. :-(

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest