   Re: SDD bogus

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 08:17:12 -0700

At 09:51 AM 5/8/98 -0400, David Megginson wrote:
>As many XML parser writers have shown, resolving external entities is
>one of the easiest parts of XML

Yes, but as is well-documented, difficulty is *not* the reason we made
their processing optional by non-validating processors.  The prime mover
behind this decision was a passionate presentation from Jean Paoli
explaining that the auto-include semantic of parsed entities is just
*wrong* for web browsers.  I've attached an explanation of why at the
end of this message, but if you want to see it context, go to section
4.4.3 of the annotated spec and click on the "H".

Having said that, Paul did raise a valid concern about the SDD (too bad
this issue wasn't pointed out before the spec was frozen).  Having said
*that*, I think, for reasons that are on the record in the same place,
that the problem the SDD exists to solve will essentially never
arise in real operational scenarios anyhow. -Tim

=================

>From the annotated spec at http://xml.com/axml/axml.html

Why Are External Entities
Included Optionally?