   EBNF question

  • From: "Adam M. Donahue" <adam@cyber-guru.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 18:25:05 -0400

I just want to clear something up about reading the XML
productions.  Am I correct in the following assumptions:

A character or sequence of characters between single quotation
marks, e.g., 'ABC' is to be represented literally.  There must be no
space characters between the quotation marks and the entity in the
production.  So def ::= ' ABC ' would not be legal for representing
" ABC " .. you'd need to use SP 'ABC' SP.  However, when spaces
do exist between the quotation marks, then the name(s) inside are
to be treated as productions and the *quotation marks* as literals.
For example:

abc ::= 'ABC'	; literally   	ABC
lit ::= ' abc '	; literally 	' ABC '
lit ::=' ABC '	; undefined?