   Re: SDD bogus

  • From: James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
  • To: xml-dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 1998 10:41:10 +0700

David Megginson wrote:

> As many XML parser writers have shown, resolving external entities is
> one of the easiest parts of XML

It depends what sort of API your parser has.  If it has an API like SAX
(or Aelfred or XP) where the parser makes calls to get input, it is
indeed easy.  But that sort of API is not what is needed for convenient
integration in Web browsers (at least not for Netscape). They need an
API like expat's where the parser never blocks waiting for input, but
instead the browser makes calls on the parser giving it input as it
becomes available.  Expat doesn't support parsing of external entities
at all at the moment.  I suspect it would be possible to make it support
external general entities, and I'll probably do that at some point. It
wouldn't be practical to support external parameter entities or external
DTD subsets without switching to a different kind of API which be less
convenient for Web browser integration.

James

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest