   Re: Is anybody working on ...

  • From: Cynthia Lenora Shern <cys@arbortext.com>
  • To: Paul Prescod <papresco@technologist.com>, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 21:39:53 -0400

I (questioner) am wondering whether, the markup in question wouldn't be
used to drive multiple processes or presentations.

So I guess I'm assuming that if (for example) formatting needs to
"provide_for" references to objects (graphics, sound, video, code, and
"other_stuff_to_be_described"); and if these referenced objects would be
processed differently, or not all, or multiply, depending_on_the_processor
and media the processor was presenting the data to; then would an external
file would allow for more portability of instances?

08:44 PM 4/29/98 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
>James K. Tauber wrote:
>>
>> > Is anybody working on creating an abstration for preserving formatting
>> > information inside or along with SGML documents, in cases where format
>> > really is part_of the information.
>>
>> I'm wondering if something like this could be done with the Precision
>> Graphics Markup Language (see http://www.jtauber.com/xml/appl/pgml.html)
>> with out-of-line links asserting relationships between the precise
>> formatting expressed in PGML and the document in a more
application-specific
>> (eg survey) DTD.
>
>It isn't clear to me why information that the questioner feels is
>intrinsic to the document should be linked instead of embedded.
>
> Paul Prescod  - http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco
>
>"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
>years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
>a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
>http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html
>

>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/
>To (un)subscribe, mailto:majordomo@ic.ac.uk the following message;