   Re: A little wish for short end tags (Was: RE: SDD bogus)

  • From: Marcus Carr <mrc@allette.com.au>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 08:03:21 +1000

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Markup language design is not at all precise, and is influenced much more
> strongly by subjective factors than by definitive arguments. I expect that
> designing languages to manage the interface between human beings and
> computers can only be done subjectively.

Thanks for the explanation. As one with a passing interest in mathematics, I probably just
assumed that more formal approaches would be employed in the first instance, but never having
participated in such an endeavour there isn't any basis for that. I'm sure an element of
subjectivity is both expeditious and valuable when faced with some of these issues.

--
Regards

Marcus Carr                  email:  mrc@allette.com.au
Allette Systems (Australia)  email:  info@allette.com.au
Level 10, 91 York Street     www:    http://www.allette.com.au
Sydney 2000 NSW Australia    phone:  +61 2 9262 4777
                             fax:    +61 2 9262 4774