   RE: SAX, DTDs, parsing...

  • From: "Joel Riedesel" <jriedese@jnana.com>
  • To: "'Ron Bourret'" <rbourret@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:35:10 -0600

I didn't find it that simple to get at the DTD data.
And, it appeared to me that the regular expression parts of DTD elements
weren't really accessible in any clean API fashion.

Yes, I can muck with the source, but I'd rather not; especially
since I thought I've seen reports of bugginess on the part of
MSXML - I don't want to have to start maintaining it in order
to do what I want to do.

Ideally, I'd like to throw a DTD file at a validating XML parser,
in addition to a normal XML file which references an external
DTD; and in both cases, get details of the DTD out of the parser.
(Lots and lots of details!)

I also noticed, that with MSXML, if the DTD is external to the XML;
you can't get to the DTD elements from the parsed document.  That 'node'
isn't available to them main tree once parsing is done.  I found that
to be a bit annoying too.

> MSXML is a validating parser written in Java.  You can get at
> the DTD, but only
> as XML-Data elements.  Of course, they ship the code, so you
> could probably go
> straight to their internal structures.
>
> -- Ron Bourret

(un)subscribe xml-dev