   demo of client-side XML stylesheets in Standard ML available

  • From: David Halls <David.Halls@cl.cam.ac.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 12:51:33 +0100

The first release of Persimmon's Standard ML to Java bytecode compiler, MLJ,
was made on May 13th, 1998. Please see the posting in comp.lang.functional.

We have since added a new on-line demo which demonstrates some of our work
using Standard ML to write stylesheets that transform SGML and XML into HTML.
MLJ allows us to compile our stylesheets into applets that run in browsers.
We are able to send XML to browsers which is processed by our stylesheets.
The generated HTML is displayed to users with no further network access back
to the server.

Please feel free to try the demo out - go to the MLJ home page
(http://research.persimmon.co.uk/mlj/) and follow the link to on-line demos.
Our stylesheet demo installs a sample stylesheet applet in your browser and
downloads a sample XML document. The HTML generated by the stylesheet is
then displayed. You will also be able to control the style of the generated
HTML through the applet's user interface.

Links are provided enabling you to view the Standard ML source of the
stylesheet (for comparison with other stylesheet languages). You can also
view the original SGML document, its DTD and the XML that is automatically
generated from it.

You'll also find some general links to documents describing the benefits
of SGML, XML and stylesheets.

Email: mlj@persimmon.co.uk
       mlj@persimmon.com
Web:   http://research.persimmon.co.uk/mlj/