   Re: Xlink semantics

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 21:08:30

At 12:02 15/05/98 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:
>This is a really good issue.  Obviously, the interactions among the
>XLink-aware elements are underspecified!  I agree with Masatomo Goto's
>interpretation of the various element configurations.  A few other comments
>below...

This is most helpful. After thinking about Masatomo Goto's reply I realised
that some of the things I had thought were semantically incorrect were
useful.

I have been thinking that we need something rather like an API - or at
least a guide - for people writing link processor tools. I will try to work
out what is - and what isn't - allowed in the spec and maybe if we meet in
Paris have a discussion.

BTW I think XLink is incredibly powerful and if we can develop abstract
processing machinery will revolutionise a lot of what I and others want to
do. My personal prejudice will be to look at XLink first before other ways
of solving problems of inheritance, relations, networks, etc.

	P.

net connection
http://www.venus.co.uk/vhg

(un)subscribe xml-dev