   RE: parser for xml-data?

  • From: Charles Frankston <cfranks@microsoft.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 16:48:42 -0700

rbourret@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de wrote:

> One possibility is that something in your XML document, such
> as an attribute at
> the root, would refer to the XML document containing the
> XML-Data definition of
> your grammar:
>
> <MyRoot Schema="MyRootSchema.xml">
>
> Another (uglier) possibility is that you use namespaces: the
> XML-Data namespace
> and the namespace your XML-Data data defines.  I haven't
> looked enough at either
> the namespaces or XML-Data specs to be sure how this would
> work, but it seems
> the object structure might be something like:

Namespaces are intended to what you're asking for.  I.e.:

	<?xml:namespace ns="urn:mycompany:MyRootSchema"
	      prefix="myschema" src="http://something/MyRootSchema.xml"?>

I don't see why using a standardized solution is uglier than inventing your
own namespace tag.  This does require you to namespace qualify your instance
information.  I.e. the tags that come from the urn:mycompany:MyRootSchema
would be something like <myschema:xyz>.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)