   Re: parser for xml-data?

  • From: rbourret@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de (Ron Bourret)
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 11:05:41 +0200

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Charles Frankston wrote:
> > The ns, prefix, and src parameters to a namespace PI look a lot like
> > attributes (although they are not in a formal sense).  Since attributes in
> > XML do not have to be in a particular order, it would certainly be
> > surprising for people to discover that attributes in a namespace have to be
> > a particular order.  You're suggesting that the syntax be made harder to use
> > in order to make the productions easier to author.  I think this is a bad
> > tradeoff.
>
> Note that the XML declaration has a required order of pseudo-attribute
> occurrence. It would be best if the XML-family of language were
> consistent.
>
> [23]  XMLDecl ::=  '<?xml' VersionInfo EncodingDecl? SDDecl? S? '?>'

Chris has a point, but my intention was to make the production easier to read
(benefits the user), not write (benefits the writer).  I've been wading through
a lot of specs recently and I tend to appreciate anything that simplifies them.
Maybe I'll change my tune when I'm further along the learning curve, but right
now, the added flexibility on an instruction I won't use much (even if all my
XML documents use namespaces) isn't worth the added complexity.

-- Ron Bourret

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)